White goods are top cause of fires

Tumble-dryers, washing machines and cookers have been named as the top three culprits behind house fires in South Yorkshire.

Figures released by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue are being used to highlight the growing number of blazes caused by electrical appliances, following the recent safety warnings on some Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble-dryers.

In a top 10 countdown of faulty white goods responsible for the most house fires in South Yorkshire, tumble-dryers, washing machines and cookers were the three worst offenders, with dishwashers and fridge-freezers not far behind.

According to South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, large electrical items have been the cause of more than 200 incidents since 2011.

Said Trevor Bernard, head of community safety for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue: “Unfortunately, we can’t get round everyone’s home to check the safety of their electrics for them. But by raising awareness of the biggest safety issues, we hope we can give people the knowledge to check their own electrics and hopefully prevent a serious fire.

“For consumers, we know that returning a recalled product is not always convenient, especially if it’s an item that you use every day, but recall notices are issued to keep people safe. The small inconvenience of returning a recalled item is worth it, when you consider that faulty products can electrocute or cause a fire.”