Hughes Electrical’s Jim Hughes dies
Hughes Electrical has announced the death of Jim Hughes (pictured).
The company said that he passed away at All Hallows Hospital in Ditchingham, surrounded by his family, after losing his battle with cancer.
Mr Hughes was born in Lowestoft in 1929, and was evacuated to Derbyshire at the start of World War II and later returned to join the family firm in Lowestoft.
His father Frank Hughes founded the company in 1921, with the purpose of rewinding electric motors for the local fishing fleet and opened a shop in Tonning Street, Lowestoft, where he built and sold radios.
When Frank died in 1947, the business was taken over by his daughter Phyllis and sons Peter and Jim.
They grew the company from a single shop to a chain retail business across Norfolk and Suffolk. Their decision to buy and own outright their retail premises and concentrate on the rentals market is a formula that still underpins the company’s success today.
Jim married Beryl in 1961 and together had three sons, Andrew, Robert and Jeremy.
He retired from full-time work in 2007 to spend more time enjoying cruises and classical music.
His funeral will be held at St Benet’s Roman Catholic Church, Beccles, at 3pm on April 18. The family has asked that no flowers be sent, but anyone wishing to can make a donation to All Hallows Hospital, which can be sent care of Rosedale Funeral Home, 22 Hungate, Beccles, NR34 9TT or via the Much Loved online memorial site at www.rosedalefuneralhome.co.uk.